Apr 22, 2010

About Carly Fleischmann

dari google
Carly Fleischmann, a teenage girl with severe autism. She is a non-verbal, who has successfully found a way of expressing herself merely by learning to type using the computer keyboard. I made an entry of her before. She also has her own Facebook account. Recently, she wrote this on her status;


"When you first were explained about autism what was your thoughts and have they changed? and if yes why?"


She received a whole lot of responses some of her followers (FYI, she has about 4000+ followers on FB). Many of the answers are interesting, some responses got me inspired and some are rather similar to mine. So, i thought of 'sharing' some of those views with you...


Lisa Aspenleiter Donigian-> Many years ago I thought people with autism lived in their own worlds in their heads. Later, as I worked with autistic children, I found that to be true, but they were so much more as well, including loveable and deserving.

Since I heard about you, and from you,I have a whole new outlook. While autism certainly varies from person to person, I now think of each non-verbal, self-stimming child I meet as possibly having a "Carly" within them, and I treat them differently, like I expect them to understand me. I'm more personal with them, just in case. YOU have made a huge difference in the way many people see autism, and I for one am always sharing your story.


Kari Brady Dauer Hewitt-> I never knew what autism was until I had children of my own. I never thought about it as a disability, just a condition. Now that my kids are grown, and I have had an opportunity to experience more, and meet more people, I think that Autism is, like any other characteristic, makes each of us unique. In some social circles, people can't even utter the word, speaking of it as if it were a death sentence.

Carly, you are helping to illuminate what people need to see...that having autism is not BEING AUTISTIC. You are incredible, with or without any disorder, or syndrome, or other classification.

Marsha Todd-> I had hopes and dreams that we caught it early at the age of 2 and that we could work really hard with him and he could get to the point that at age 5 he could start kindergarten with a typical class. At that time he was very quiet and mellow. At the age of 4 he began to get aggressive, still non-verbal and not potty training. I knew then that my dream of him being in a typical classroom with typical peers was not going to come true.

At the age of 5 he began to be a very hyper, overactive, sensory seeking little guy. My once quiet, calm child was now a totally different child. Since the age of 4 and 5 he has had a terrible time with school and social situations. I never thought my child would have to be on medications for autism, but is now on 3 and has tried many others. He needs medication, but it still doesn't work the way it should. He is such a sweet, loving kid and I just want him to be able to function in our world and for others to accept him for who he is. I will always love him and strive to have him be the best that he can be! Luke is a sweet boy!

Cathy Martinez-> My first thought was fear. I didn't know that much about it but I knew it was lifelong. I was afraid for my son and for our family and how this would affect us. I'm no longer afraid of autism but about other people's reaction to my son and how they will treat him.

My thoughts are much different now about autism. I respect my son for everything he does and how challenging tasks are for him. It has brought our family closer together and made us stronger.

Michelle Butson-> When my sister mentioned "Autism" about my 20 mth old, my thoughts were of someone completely lost in their own world with no comunication and not being able to love life. I am so glad I was wrong, After a lot of worry and confusion my son was diagnosed with mild ASD, He is now 6 and attends regular school he is bright and loving and has friends, also he has meltdowns, frustrations and cries but is learning better to deal with these.

My son has good speech and imagination and I just love the way he sees the world differently, I love his honesty and I love that he loves life. Some traits of Autism can be very positive better than our ordinary lives and my son mostly makes my days brighter.




There were 40 comments altogether. Of all, I really like this one............

Becky Miller Jacobson-> You just have to find the key to unlock their door. When you do, a treasure will be revealed.



Have a GOOD day, everyone!


2 comments:

keen said...

carly has inspired a lot of people..including us!!! may God bless her always n all the families n autis child :D

Syahida said...

carly is indeed a GIFT to people with autism. Semoga Allah permudahkan kehidupan anak2 istimewa dan memberi rahmat ke atas mereka, insyAllah.